People with integrity tend to be whole and in harmony with themselves and nature. This is the primary factor of living a fulfilling life. They are honest and trustworthy; they live by their principles and have strong ethical and moral character. They say and do what they mean and practice what they profess; they follow the beliefs and principles they claim to uphold. Integrity deals with actions, values, expectations and outcomes.
Not everyone can be called a person of integrity. People lie, cheat, steal for various reasons. They fear to look bad in the eyes of others. They fear consequences of standing by what they say. They are afraid of failure or rejection and so take a short term escape in the form of deceit.
Lack of integrity has many serious consequences like emotional and relationship damage. People do not trust people who show a lack of integrity in their behavior, and they are less likely to rise in careers and business. They are remembered long after they have left for their wrongdoings.
People who do not have a sense of integrity often appear hypocritical, justify dishonest dealings and have a low opinion of others. They are prone to impulsive actions and are intolerant of others mistakes.
Life coaches, business coaches, and confidence coaches advise that we can be people of integrity if we want to. Here are seven tips to cultivate integrity in our way of life.
1. Think of helping others before helping yourself. It is the prime quality of a leader and a key to fulfillment in life. People at the helm of affairs who fill their coffers while depriving others of their legitimate rights hardly deserve to be called leaders.
2. Not pretend to be someone you are not. You will only feel hollow and lose self-esteem if you try to deceive others.
3. Transparency earns high trust and respect. You feel secure and are not afraid of any consequences as you have nothing to hide.
4. You can cultivate the habit of standing by your convictions. While you can be open to others’ positive suggestions, you may not sway from your principled stand or be unduly influenced by others.
5. You can seek fulfillment by making your life an example and inspiration for others to follow. By being a role model, your heart will always be at ease while you see others prosper by following you as their example.
6. Persons of integrity are low on ego and are not arrogant in their behavior. They give to society with a sense of humility. Respect fellow human beings, and you will be respected and recognized for who you are in return.
7. No matter how noble your objectives are, foul means to achieve them will rarely bring you happiness as you would have lost the very reason for undertaking the work.
It is possible to inculcate integrity into our character and make our lives and careers successful if we follow these tips. This would enable us to live a more fulfilling life and leave behind a legacy for others to follow.